A divorce or separation from a de-facto relationship can be one of the most distressing experiences you can go through, but there are some things you can do to make it easier on yourself.
Finding the right Family Lawyer (or, as the Americans would say, Divorce Attorney) is a crucial. And, if you get confused with the terminology, it might be helpful to know that:
- In Australia, we don’t use the word Attorney but it basically equates with Lawyer;
- A Family Lawyer can be a Solicitor and/or a Barrister;
- Barristers mainly do court work and act on instructions from Solicitors;
- A Family Law Solicitor is your first point of contact;
- Scales and Partners are both Family Law Solicitors and Barristers but we will sometimes brief an independent Barrister when it is appropriate to do so.)
Competent, caring, common sense legal advice by someone who knows what they are doing will make the process a lot easier for you. Don’t think that you need not see a lawyer because you and your former partner are keeping it friendly. Good legal advice isn’t only important where there is a dispute. It helps to resolve your matter more quickly, with less headaches and more certainty.
And you shouldn’t wait until you are served with some Divorce papers before doing something about seeing someone.
And if you have already had a Divorce, but haven’t dealt formally with the question of a property settlement you need to see us urgently.
You probably have a lot of questions you need to have answered, questions like:
- How do we charge and much will it cost?
- How are my entitlements to property settlement assessed?
- How are disputes regarding children resolved?
- How long will it take to resolve the matter?
And for people in the southern or coastal suburbs our Glenelg office will make it even easier for you to deal with us.
We can’t answer all of those questions here but, to understand more about what you should do, it helps if you know the truth about certain urban myths and misconceptions hand and we recommend that you click on the links below to obtain some basic information which should help you.
If you come to see us on a Free First Interview we can answer questions more specific to your own case.
Our range of Family Law services includes: